If you want an authentic North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich, You must accompany it with cole slaw, either on it or on the side. I prefer mine on the side, so i can add all the sauce I want to my sandwich, but it's up to you. Most people love this recipe, some find it a bit tangy. I start adding the mustard a little at a time until it comes to the taste I like. I would suggest you do the same.
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.