|The August Vogue Cover, Red Rose, Norman Parkinson|
If you are not a baseball fan, then you don't know that last night one of the most important records in sports history was broken. Roy Halladay of the Phillies broke Don Larsen's record of the only perfect pitch game in the post season. So what year was it?
- The cost of a new car was around $2000
|1956 Cadillac Coupe De Ville|
- A gallon of gas was 22 cents
- Elvis Presley entered the charts with Heartbreak Hotel
- Steve Ballmer was born
- Grace Kelly married Prince Ranier
- The only perfect pitch in World Series Game (Dan Larsen for the New York Yankees in the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers) until last night.
- Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal
- The hard disk drive was invented by a team from IBM
- Italian luxury liner Andrea Doria sank off the coast of Nantucket
- Fidel Castro and Che Guevara landed in Cuba aboard the boat Granma
- Marilyn Monroe married Arthur Miller
|The 1956 kitchen|
- Soviet Union invaded Hungary to quelch anticommunist uprising
- I Love Lucy was the No 1 show
- My Fair Lady opened in New York City
- General Electric introduced "The Snooz Alarm"
- To Tell The Truth, Truth or Consequences, The Huntley Brinkley Report and As the World Turns first aired on television
- Elizabeth Taylor was still married to hubby No 2. Michael Wilding!!
- Eisenhower defeated Adlai Stevenson for the second time, as an incumbent, in the U,S, Presidential Elections
- 13-year-old Bobby Fischer beat GM Donald Byrne in the NY Rosenwald chess tournament
A Typical lunch for the Ladies Who Lunch was....
Peppermint Ice Cream With Chocolate Sauce
If you've made it this far and still don't know, it was 1956! Wow, that was the year that was!
Ooops, and I almost forgot!
|When was the last time you saw one of these!|
I know you are wondering what this has to do with cooking and entertaining.. Nothing at all. I was just at a loss for a new recipe and thought we all needed a break.